J. W. Baker purchased 2,000 acres of land during the late 1800's in Cypress, Texas.
His Ranch was located approximately 1 1/2 miles east of Cypress on the south side of Spring-Cypress Road.
The exact location of the Ranch began on Spring-Cypress Rd. near Skinner Rd. heading east on Spring-Cypress Rd. crossing over Dry Gully, approx. 1 1/2 mi. to Hoffmeister Rd., turning south(right) onto Hoffmeister Rd. and following for 1/3 mi.; then turning south again onto the right fork named Telge Rd. Following Telge Rd. 1 1/2 miles past Jarvis Rd. (which did not exist yet), then turning west through the property, over Dry Gully toward Skinner Road again.
J. W. Baker ranched cattle here as did three more generations of Bakers to follow.
Mr. Baker was among the first born in Houston during the years when Texas was "The Republic of Texas".